Sunday, November 21, 2010

DOP-Mii Library v1 Released

I've been spending a great deal of time of lately analyzing DOP-Mii and thinking about the future of the program. It's grown to be so powerful I'm not even sure what it is anymore. The best description I can come up with for it is "DOP-Mii is a powerful system tool for your Wii which can do almost anything". DOP-Mii is never going to be truly finished, but I know it's going to need to take on a better form to continue to stay at the top.

Thinking about the future of DOP-Mii I looked at three things which seem to occur repeatedly:

1)I get a lot of e-mails from people saying how grateful they are for the program. Not only because of how they've modified their Wii's with it, but because of how they were able to use the source code to expand their own homebrew. I once even got an e-mail from someone claiming to be a licensed developer who used it to experiment with IOS to see how he could enhance his games and to develop external peripherals.

2)I get a lot of e-mails from people asking me to give DOP-Mii a nice, highly graphical GUI. I always neglect these requests because I feel I would be better spending my time continuing to expand DOP-Mii rather than make it graphical.

3)There are a lot of "Mods" of DOP-Mii floating around the net. Some are pretty neat (GUI enhancements, additional features) and others really suck (Like the ones based ones based on unstable builds that were written in C). Either way, I'm always happy to see people play with the source.

So about a couple weeks ago it finally occurred to me that next logical step would be to make a new branch of DOP-Mii. This new branch would remove the front-end (in other words our GUI) meanwhile keeping the powerful  base code that powers every mod, every enhancement to every app, and too many other things to list here. It would be DOP-Mii compiled into a static library.

Now, developers have a powerful set of tools (I haven't even brought up yet how nice our USB Gecko or USB Storage drivers are) on hand at any time without any messy source code rearranging. And anyone interested in writing a new GUI for DOP-Mii should be able to do so much more easily with all of the existing GUI removed from the source. It's really a great situation for everyone.

I've gone through and carefully pruned and modified the library to make sure it's as useful and small as it can be without cutting out any features. This is only the first public release so there's bound to be a lot which can still be improved. Developers, I beg you to keep in touch and let me know about anything I can do to make the library as useful as possible.

Download: http://code.google.com/p/dop-mii/downloads/list
Source: http://code.google.com/p/dop-mii/source/checkout

IRC Channel: #arikadosblog on EFNET
Twitter: http://twitter.com/OArikadoO

If you can, please support this and my other projects by donating via the Chip-In widget to the right of this page. Donations are used to buy development tools and to help yours truly survive in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment