Wednesday, May 13, 2009

10 Hours of work... The Date of Birth Lab

Click here to comment on the video


In my Digital Electronics Class, we were challenged to make a circuit that would reveal our date of birth as we used three inputs to count from 0 to 7 in binary (or 000 to 111). The inputs represented the binary 1s, 2s, and 4s bits. As we count up in binary, or at each step of the binary ladder, so to speak, an output displays the next character in my birth date on a common anode seven segment display.

The entire process of coming up with a boolean statement representing the circuit, simplifying the boolean statement, simulating the circuit, choosing parts (ICs), and then actually building the circuit probably took a little more than ten hours. This was a huge achievement on the low level (gate level) hardware side of electronics (I'm still better at the programming side of things though ;) ) for me.

So I took a video of it (at the top of the post) and uploaded it as my first youtube video. (Seriously, I've never put anything on youtube before) See the video description for a list of the materials used and a list of what binary number displays what.

No comments:

Post a Comment